09 July 2006

Taking the Long Way...

The new Dixie Chicks album, Taking The Long Way, makes me proud and thrilled to be a Dixie Chicks fan. Their lyrics are compelling and inspirational. I downloaded the album the other day and the first track gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. I called Hikle immediately to share my overwhelming emotions about the album. He completely agreed. He was touched too.

Check out the Dixie Chicks Performance and Interview from Bill Maher's Amazon Fishbowl. It's great! I also LOVE Track #6, "Lullaby".

How can you not be moved by lyrics like these?

The Long Way Around
My friends from high school
Married their high school boyfriends
Moved into houses in the same ZIP codes
Where their parents live
But I, I could never follow
No I, I could never follow
I hit the highway in a pink RV with stars on the ceiling
Lived like a gypsy
Six strong hands on the steering wheel
I've been a long time gone now
Maybe someday, someday I'm gonna settle down
But I've always found my way somehow
By taking the long way
Taking the long way around
Taking the long way
Taking the long way around
I met the queen of whatever
Drank with the Irish and smoked with the hippies
Moved with the shakers
Wouldn't kiss all the asses that they told me to
No I, I could never follow
No I, I could never follow
It's been two long years now
Since the top of the world came crashing down

And I'm getting' it back on the road now
But I'm taking the long way
Taking the long way around
I'm taking the long way
Taking the long way around
I just take my time, I won't lay down
And take the long way around
Well, I fought with a stranger and I met myself
I opened my mouth and I heard myself
It can get pretty lonely when you show yourself
Guess I could have made it easier on myself

But I, I could never follow
No I, I could never follow
Well, I never seem to do it like anybody else
Maybe someday, someday I'm gonna settle down
If you ever want to find me I can still be found
Taking the long way
Taking the long way around
Taking the long way
Taking the long way around

Not Ready to Make Nice
Forgive, sounds good. Forget, I'm not sure I could. They say time heals everything, But I'm still waiting. I'm through, with doubt. There's nothing left for me to figure out. I've paid a price, and i'll keep paying.

I'm not ready to make nice, I'm not ready to back down, I'm still mad as hell and I don't have time to go round and round and round. It's too late to make it right. I probably wouldn't if I could. Cause I'm mad as hell. Can't bring myself to do what it is you think I should.

I know you said, "Why can't you just get over it," it turned my whole world around and I kind of like it. I made by bed, and I sleep like a baby. With no regrets and I don't mind saying, it's a sad sad story that a mother will teach her daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger. And how in the world can the words that I said send somebody so over the edge that they'd write me a letter saying that I better shut up and sing or my life will be over.

I'm not ready to make nice, I'm not ready to back down, I'm still mad as hell and I don't have time to go round and round and round. It's too late to make it right. I probably wouldn't if I could. Cause I'm mad as hell. Can't bring myself to do what it is you think I should.

I'm not ready to make nice, I'm not ready to back down, I'm still mad as hell and I don't have time to go round and round and round. It's too late to make it right. I probably wouldn't if I could. Cause I'm mad as hell. Can't bring myself to do what it isYou think I should.

Forgive, sounds good. Forget, I'm not sure I could. They say time heals everything, but I'm still waiting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home