07 March 2007

It's called Lake Jackson but where's the lake???

I just wanted to take this opportunity to highlight a few interesting, non-pool related things from my weekend in Lake Jackson, Texas.

I was there for another pool excursion. I got in early Friday afternoon so I could goof off and my friend Carter picked me up from the airport in Houston. I was starving!

We decided to drive to the coast to check things out. As we passed through all the oil refineries to our left and then more oil refineries to our right (it made Commerce City, aka the armpit of Colorado, look like a residential area), we came to a stand-alone building with a giant sign that read "BOILED CRAWFSH" (not to be confused with "broiled" which I was convinced it was for a long time).

So, we flipped a U-y and went inside. It was there, that I ate 6 oysters on the half shell and 43 crawfish. YUM-MY! Well, the order came in either 3 pounds or 5 pounds. I ordered the 3 pounds and Carter helped. Afterwards, we counted and I ate 40 of those little guys. Carter ate 23. My finger were pretty raw from peeling by the end of it all. It was well worth it though.

We did end up returning for another dozen oysters and 3 pounds of crawfish the following night. Unfortunately, they seemed to have given us the bottom of the crawfish barrel that second night. If that's what I got the first night, I never would've gone back for more.

The tournament went fairly well and I really had a lot of fun this weekend.

I got to spend some quality time with my friend Kyu from the tour, and get to know her a little better. She's such a sweetheart! We actually ended up playing each other on Saturday night and then the three of us (her, Carter, and I) went to dinner together. I've got a busy pool month ahead of me. I'm very excited!!!

Oh! Funny story... First of all, I just wanted to mention that NBA star, Yao Ming, was on my flight to Houston. Man! That guy is tall!
Okay, so, while I was waiting at the airport for Carter to pick me up, I was sitting on this bench and this airline employee sat down next to me. She was eating some chinese food that came from terminal E, she told me. I told her it smelled good and it was making me hungry. To which she responded, "So, you're chinese?" "Yes," I said. Without any hesitation, she says, "Now, let me ax you suttin'. Now, what's the diffrence between chinese and vipnamese? Cause, y'all all look tha sayme ta me!"..............uh........ well..... I promise I not even kidding when I tell you this actually happened to me.

It took every ounce of me to not just start laughing histerically because what else can you do??? I collected myself and very politely explained that we were from different countries. All she said was "oh." Wow. That was an interesting encounter.

Anyway, I made it home safely Monday afternoon and here I am, two days later, writing all about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home