08 April 2007

HappEeeeeeeeeeeeaster! Does anyone have a voice they can spare?

Things have been much better (for me) since I recently wrote about my aching heart. So far, everyday has been incredibly productive and eventful, and my busy days have really helped to keep my mind occupied.

HappEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaster!!!
Thursday morning started off a bit poopy but later picked up. I was on my way to a 1 o'clock appointment and as I was just getting out of my neighborhood, I passed a retirement home to my right. When I glanced over, I saw an elderly man sitting on the bench outside with a straw hat, hunched over like he had fallen asleep. Nothing to be alarmed about except that his poor arms were bright red like they were totally sunburned. It was about 12:30p.m. and the sun had been out all morning.

If I weren't just barely running on time, I would've pulled over to make sure he was okay. Instead, I called information to look up the phone number for the nursing home. As the phone rang, I followed traffic and approached a right turn where a cop was standing in the middle of the road with a small stop sign in his hand and directed me to pull over. Apparently, I was speeding. Rats!

I was so distracted and completely caught off guard. I tried to explain to him that I was trying to save a man's life and what I had just seen, but he didn't care. He was quite the jerk about it. He said, "I don't understand how seeing a man on a bench would make you go 15 miles over the speed limit." According to him, I was going 55 in a 40. Yikes! I was?!??? Anyway, that sucked!

The rest of the day was filled with busy work until I stopped by the Skylark to see my good friend Tom Ross. He runs a free Thursday night pool clinic and I thought I would be catching the butt-end of it. I arrived around 8:30 and the fun had really just begun. One of the greatest qualities about Tom is that he never forgets a name and he always makes you feel important, no matter who you are!

When I arrived, Tom was standing at a pool table, in the middle of a presentation. There were about 20 people in the room and he had each and every single one of their attention. In mid sentence, as I walked into the room, he stopped to announce, "Hey Sammi! Congratulations on your 2nd place finish at the BCA Midwest Championships!" Then, after a very brief pause, he says, "Does everyone know Sammi Diep? 4 time national champion and writer for AZBilliards, Professor Q Ball, etc. etc. ..." Needless to say, I was incredibly flattered and appreciative of the recognition and confidence boost. It was well needed at that moment.

I had only planned to stop by for a moment, but ended up spending my entire night there. I had laughed more then than I had in a long time and was really starting to feel like myself again. I even did my famous 'physics of a stop shot' presentation to a group of about 12 people. However, that was the beginning of the end of my voice...

Since then, it's only gotten worse and worse everyday. It's my own fault. I am so fortunate to have such an amazing support system as I'm going through such difficult times, but because of it, I have not shut up for the past four days. So, everyday, it's been getting a little worse and worse and worse. Until last night, when I finally couldn't speak at all.

Today is Easter Sunday and I'm heading to Hikle's for Easter lunch/dinner. I think I'll just be whispering today so it doesn't get any worse (if it's possible). My throat was actually starting to hurt last night. I hope I didn't do any permanent damage.

It's amazing. I don't think I've ever lost my voice! I have pretty strong vocal chords. I can remember getting sick and really sick and wishing I could have just a little bit of a sexy, raspy voice but it would just never happen. Well, I don't know about the sexy part, but I'm raspy alright. Last night, my friend Robert said it sounded like I'd been sucking on helium... :(

Anyway, HAPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASTER!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home