27 August 2009

Google Maps "Street View"

Have you ever checked out the Street View on Google Maps before? In many ways it's quite cool. You can take a virtual tour of the area and the surroundings.

When Mike and I were planning our trip to Jacksonville last summer for a tournament, we decided to make a mini-vaca out of it and stayed at the beautiful Fig Tree Inn. I must have spent every single day the whole before the trip, taking the virtual tour from our front door, down two blocks to the beach. In this instance, it was quite practical and I was happy it was available.

The other day, I was googling directions from my house and decided, "Sure! I'll hit the 'street view' button just out of curiousity." To my surprise I saw a photo of my house with Mike's truck and my car both parked in the driveway.


I couldn't help but to be slightly alarmed and wonder, "When was this photo taken? How come I didn't notice someone in my neighborhood with a big camera?" Then, I started feeling slightly violated.

The functionality is quite cool and realistic, but it's just a little creepy to think that someone just goes through the neighborhoods snapping photos of people's houses from all different angles.

Have you street viewed your house recently?

1 Comments:

At 9:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Samm I agree it is strange but they actually have vichles with special camers that dirve through to get the 360 degree shots. I'm not sure if it was a one time thing or if they are updated. Also on the Sattelite shots you can sometimes zoom in and see cars in the drive at least at my house.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home