25 December 2007

I finally changed the channel...

After six hours and three and a half repeats of A Christmas Story (of about the six times I'd watched it over the past 48 hours), four episodes of a mini Family Guy marathon, two Office episodes, and two Sex and the City episodes, I've finally changed the channel. Thanks TBS for mellow, uneventful xmas day.

Today, I was reminded of a couple very important things from my friend Robert:
  1. You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friends' noses.
  2. And, most importantly, only YOU can make yourself happy. You can't depend on anyone else. It's just not anyone else's responsibility.
I realize that I struggle with expectations. I find myself setting the same expectations for people that I would set for myself. I would never treat someone that way, so I "expect" them to not treat me that way. I would never be so rude so I expect the same courtesy from others. When will I learn? Can it be learned???

I spent the first few hours of my morning volunteering downtown and the rest of the day vegged out on the couch to the above mentioned shows while taking intermittent naps and snacking on leftover ham.

I was originally supposed to fly out tonight for Minneapolis so I opened all my presents yesterday. I'm not flying out until the 30th now and had nothing to open today. My "other" family in Charlotte sent me a beautiful box of goodies to decorate the space beneath my 12" tree. They've kept Christmas alive for me this year.

I invited Robert and Bob over on Sunday where I made my first roast and cut my first onions, EVER! Some went in the slow cooker (for 12 hours) and I made Robert cook up the rest for the gravy. Garlic is the ONLY member of the onion family that I don't mind. Chopping the onions the night before was an incredibly traumatic experience which involved rubber gloves, the vent on high, and some gagging. (Ooopf! Got the chills just thinking about it)

Miraculously, the roast was quite edible. I'd also prepared:
  • fresh asparagus with cream cheese wrapped in smoked salmon
  • melon with goat cheese wrapped in prosciutto
  • sweet petite white corn
  • garlic smashed potatoes
  • a brilliant gravy (even with the onions, which I just ate around)
I felt pretty proud of myself. I'm really looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 10:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Samm - Merry post-Christmas wishes! Yes - we, too watched "A Christmas Story" ALL DAY LONG!!! And yes - it DOES get old after the 3rd or fourth STRAIGHT go 'round...but what fun!

I copied your recipes and am going to give them a go here in the next week or so, so stay tuned for an update on that. I can't wait to try them! You and Mike have a HAPPEEEEEE New year, OK? L8r Gator - Kyril

 
At 1:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I spent the first few hours of my morning volunteering downtown..."

You underestimate the contribution you made in touching so many that day. The extra M in "Samm" is for "magnanimous."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home