02 May 2009

25 Random Things You May or May Not Know About Me

You know I always post this stuff here when it's requested of me, so if you feel so inspired, post or email me your list of 25.
photo courtesy of William Fuentes
[in no particular order, guess that's why it's called "random"]

  1. I love fruity gum. I despise minty gum. Yuck!

  2. I secretly like it when people call me "Sammi." I would never introduce myself as such, but it's very endearing to me, especially since that's what most of the pool world refers to me as.

  3. I am Chinese-American. I was born in Vietnam.

  4. My moniker "Cherry Bomb" was given to me by my good friend and extremely talented pool player, Robert Rodriguez.

  5. At age 16, I rolled and totaled my first car (a white 1986 Toyota Corolla hatchback). I only had it for two weeks. I broke the front axle and launched my violin about 20 feet from the car. Amazingly, no one was hurt. Unfortunately, we only had liability on it then. Jerry was not so happy.

  6. Oh yeah, I played the violin from age of 9 until ???. I even taught private lessons for six years after high school. I loved it!

  7. I can't whistle.

  8. I was once in a Video Professor infomercial. Don't ask.

  9. I began playing pool at age 14 while ditching orchestra rehearsals with my friends. Don't tell my mom.

  10. I went through a swing dancing phase where I danced five nights a week for a solid year and half. Man, I was in shape then!

  11. I can only wink with my left eye.

  12. I really like gummy bears.

  13. I keep a cheese blog with my bf, cheesyadventures.com. It's not so up-to-date at the moment. mmmmmmm... cheese.....

  14. I am an only child.

  15. I love the smell of coffee but can't stand the taste of it.

  16. I have a distinct mole on my left eye lid that is usually disguised with make up.

  17. I'm a Kakuro junkie. I started with Sudoku, but I prefer Kakuro's now. It's like Sudoku on vitamins.

  18. I've always been a huge Kenny Loggins fan. In fact, I got to hang out with his band after a concert at the Colorado State Fair in Pueblo, CO when I was 20. Still debating on whether or not I should've listed this one.

  19. I'm obsessed with Paul Frank, particularly Julius the Monkey (and most monkeys for that matter). PF is my favorite designer!

  20. Vegas, my awesome, beautiful, very well-behaved 7 year old white lab, was diagnosed with Lymphoma on Thanksgiving. He's since been on chemo and is currently in remission. My ex and I have joint custody and he takes care of him when I'm on the road.

  21. I never liked rice growing up. What kind of Chinese girl was I? My mom would force me to eat it but it's a staple for me now.

  22. I hate onions (green onions, chives, leeks, etc, garlic is okay), sesame seeds, water chestnuts, beans, (except for hummus and edemame, go figure), arugula, peppermint, and...... That's all I can think of.

  23. I had a secret crush on my bf from the day I first met him four years ago but obviously never acted on it since I was engaged at the time. Funny how things turn out.

  24. My Life's Mission: "To inspire." (Thanks, CJ J!)

  25. I spent the last couple weeks intermittently compiling this list in my notebook until I collected the perfect 25 random (or not so random) things listed here. I'm looking forward to reading yours.

2 Comments:

At 11:52 PM , Anonymous letitia salazar said...

Hey, chica! Hope you are having a great 2009! Your birthday is around the corner, YAY! I haven't checked the blog in a while, I am glad your dog has made improvements since the chemo....

Here are my 25...I had them posted on my blog a while back so ignore if you have seen them already...(I love reading these things)

Peace Sis!

1.I give without attaching strings

2.I have never dreamt in black and white

3.I do not like to be given roses

4.I am not afraid of blood and am a good person to have around in an emergency

5.I wear a toe ring that has not been removed since the mid ‘90s

6.I don’t like: closed doors, the smell of milk, soul-food, parking lots, eye mucus, watching sports on television, unruly eyebrows, sleeping with socks on, diamonds, conventional curtains, intentional ignorance, cleaning carpets (I would rather throw them out), etc…

7.I do like: the smell of soil in the morning, the feeling of hot wax on my skin (not in the “body of evidence” way), salmon fat, cheeseburgers, thrift stores, and being able to find light in apparent darkness

8.I am a domesticated revolutionary who puts her fist in the air at least once a day

9.I make wishes on stars, make up
words and make the best blackberry scones

10.I need a dance partner that can hang with me… Marc Anthony was able to, once, in a dream!

11.I Love baby feet

12.I used to relax my hair – unbelievable!

13.When I was a teenager, I had a strange unfounded paranoia of being audited by the IRS

14.When I was a kid, I, traumatically, got lost in one of those funhouse mirror mazes and have never gone in one again – today, I believe the worst place to be lost is inside yourself

15.I wanted to be a: spy, nun, FBI agent, astronaut/astronomer, dancer, ninja, warrior, doctor, midwife, linguist, archeologist, and and and….

16.I hold onto the romance of writing letters and frequently use the postal service

17.I love living in the hood but cannot tolerate ghettoness

18.I engage frequently in a soul clap

19.I am a complex landscape but will always leave you with clear directions

20.I likely have something written in my journal about you

21.I know what it is like to be both prey and predator

22. I understand medical and science jargon

23.I drink at least a gallon of water a day

24.You can usually find me walking to the library

25.I need a blanket whenever I watch a movie

 
At 10:57 PM , Anonymous Kyril said...

1. I CANNOT whistle, even though people have been trying to teach me since I was a little kid.

2. I can actually type - without looking at the keyboard!

3. I have 20/5 vision (I can see a long way, but...hello reading glasses soon:(

4. Even thought I'm as white as Woody Harrelson, I can read, write, and speak Korean (though not as fluently as I could in the 90's).

5. I don't watch much TV, except: American Idol, Hell's Kitchen, the UFC, tennis and Pool. I capitalized 'Pool' on purpose.

6. I actually watched 'The Notebook' with my wife...MORE than once. And they say men don't care...

7. My best friend and roommate in college was Lorin McCraley. He is now an actor in Hollywood and has been since 1995 or so. I just talked to him a couple weeks ago and was on the I-5 in his car, taking his son Destry to baseball practice. He had just finished shooting an episode of 'Desperate Housewives'. He called me, and asked "What are you doin?", and I said "Not Much", to which he replied "I just got finished huggin' up on Nicolette Sheridan,...filmin' an episode of Desperate Housewives."

So I'm like, 'Hey, was Eva Longoria there?" and he's like "Yeah".

So I say "Is she as hot in person as she looks on TV?" and he says:

"Hotter. WAY hotter..."

So there's (one) of my "I-know- people-who-work-with-famous-people" stories. (Although, Samm, you work with some PRETTY famous people:)

8. I have run over 100 balls in the Monk's 100 ball drill (not in straight pool, though...)

9. I have a high run of 54 balls in straight pool.

10. I am a total sap.

11. I listen to Barry Manilow, Air Supply, The Bee Gees, Bread, Dan Fogelberg, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Toto, every country artist you can name, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Rachmaninoff, Satchmo, The Cranberries, Blues Traveler, Bare Naked Ladies (If I had a Million Dollars has always been my favorite...), Metallica, Def Leppard, Five For Fighting, Pink, Styx, Johnny Cash (Love his version of 'Hurt' written by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bob Sieger, Jackson Brown, Van Morrison...the list goes on...

12. I can actually hang with my insanely genius brother Alex at chess, and hope to become a Grand Master some day (I play classical vis-a-vis hypermodern, but hope to make the switch so I can become a great speed-chess player some day).

13. I am passionate about people 'getting it' when they come to me for tennis instruction (so much so, that I will stay an extra hour sometimes - free of charge - just to make sure they are 'getting it'. Call me nuts (my wife does!)

14. I used to have a 205 average as a YABA junior bowler back in the mid-1980's; but I never loved doing it, so there ya go.

15. My FAVORITE late night snack is Smoked Oysters on Triscuits w/Habanero Tabasco sauce (or regular wimpy Tabasco if that's all I have on hand at the the time), and also pretty much any wild game you can round up, 'cause I've ate 'em all...Yum!

16. I have a backyard nursery and root new plants every spring under intermittent mist, and I love my plants:)

17. I have a 1,250 sq ft vegetable garden that includes Corn, cucumbers, watermelon, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, sugar snap peas, onions and dill.

18. I was 4'10" and weighed 80 lbs when I was a freshman in high school.

19. I Was 6'2" and weighed 129 lbs when I graduated high school.

20. I now am 6'2" and weigh 205 lbs (late bloomer...?)

21. My favorite time of year is late spring/early summer, and my favorite time of day is twilight, right after the sun goes down...

22. I have lived in Hawaii, and you don't want to...

23. If I could play any sport professionally (prize money what it is these days, plus all of the cool tournament locations), it would be golf. Hands down.

24. Playing pro tennis is A LOT harder than you think...trust me.

25. Samm-Bamm is wicked-cool to post her list and encourage others to do the same...revelation is refreshing :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home