04 December 2008

Poor Vegas...

Good news: I got my boy back tonight!
Bad news: He's dying...

It's a horrible thing to write but I came to the realization tonight that he's not going to get better. The reality is the chemo doses and his treatment will give him a better "quality of life" and maybe even tack on a couple months, but he's incredibly uncomfortable right now. It's tough to tell if it's the cancer or the treatment that's making him so miserable.

I feel so bad for him. Dr. Rha said he responded really well to his chemo last week and that the lymph nodes are almost back to normal, but when will my doggy be back to normal? I don't believe he's in pain, but he's so restless. He can't lay still for more than a few minutes at a time without getting up and pacing around and trying to find a new position. His non-responsive stares brought me to tears tonight.

There was very little tail-wagging. He would sit and lay down and sit up again. All the while just sort of wobbling in place like he was about to fall over or something. I rubbed his head like he used to like and laid down on the floor beside him. I whispered my usual, "Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy? You are, Vegas. You are." which always gets a wag or two, but nothing...

My heart is breaking inside.
One powerful thing that I've learned from recently finishing The Last Lecture, is that Randy Pausch was thankful for knowing he had a terminal illness and how long he had left to live so that he and his family could be more prepared for his death. Instead of being in denial about it, he made videos, made "the" lecture (obviously), took lots of photos and just spent lots of time with his family that he'd be leaving behind.

I'm not in denial about Vegas's illness. It's not as severe as it could be and I don't really know exactly how long he has left. We were told best case scenario: three years. I am just going to do the best that I can to prepare for the worst, though we're never actually prepared for death no matter how much we think we are...

In case you haven't seen or read it, here's the inspiring last lecture:

4 Comments:

At 4:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. These things with pets are among the hardest things we ever have to deal with as their owners. It will be 15 years this Christmas since my dad passed away from a 3-mo battle with a brain tumor. Yet no one asked me to make the decision for him to end it. Having to face that with a pet we love so much when they can't really comprehend is AWFUL with a capital "a." Remind me to tell you a story about how my son handled it with Blinky the 3-legged wonder kitty.

 
At 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamm! I am so very sorry to read about Vegas! I love him! If you need anything just let me know! I love ya!

Molly

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Michael McCafferty said...

Hey, check out this neat way to give Vegas a treat when you are away, FROM YOUR PHONE, and via the internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L3hdPxMa_o

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Alvina Yeh said...

*hugs* pet Vegas for me :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home